Since I changed my diet to a pescatarian diet a few years ago, I learned to love vegetables that I just didn’t like to eat before. I think it was the weird taste or consistency of some of the vegetables I refused to eat as a child and still did as a young adult.
Nowadays a lot has changed and I enjoy many of them very much. One of the vegetables is the beet root. This unique earthy tasty is something special and talking about health benefits, the beet root is a must in our kitchen now. The beet root is a great source of minerals, vitamins and fiber and they are low on calories which makes them even more likable. On top of that I really love the dark red color, so pleasing to the eye and why not make a delicious salad that’s healthy and pretty at the same time.
I would recommend making this salad at least 2 hours ahead of time for all the flavors to infuse.
500g raw beet root
1 red onion
for the vinaigrette
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp Raspberry, red or Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper to taste
How to prepare the salad
- Start by peeling your beet root. I use a knife, but a peeler works well since the skin is very thin.
- Cut your beet into thin stripes or shred it in the food processor.
- Peel and cut your red onion into very thin slices.
- To make your vinaigrette give olive oil, vinegar (I prefer raspberry vinegar for this recipe), honey, salt and pepper in a bowl and give it a good stir with a fork or whisk.
- Give the shredded beet root, the onion slices and the vinaigrette in a large bowl and combine everything well.
- Let it sit for at least two hours before serving. I like to leave mine on the counters if it’s not too warm in the kitchen.
- Right before serving add a handful of pumpkin seed for a little bit of crunch in your salad.
How to store
Store the salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Make every bite count
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment below or tag me on instagram here.
I also have this recipe available on my YouTube channel here.