Let’s start the year 2022 with a seasonal recipe.
Cooking seasonal is getting more and more important. It has several positive effects on the environment, is good for your health and can save you money.
When we started eating more seasonal, I first searched for a seasonal food calendar for the region in which we live on the internet. It didn’t took me long to find what I was looking for and I actually thought it was exciting to learn more about it.
The idea for this recipe was given by my mom, when she told me about their celeriac stored in the root cellar and that they love to eat them as a steak. Unfortunately I didn’t have any celeriac in my cellar but lots of apples and onions from last years harvest and I wanted to combine all three as a seasonal lunch.
My husband and I think it turned out very delicious.
Ingredients for Celeriac Cheese Steak with Apples and Onions
2 slices celeriac (1.5 cm thick)
1 slice of your favorite cheese (1/2 for each steak)
2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp bread crumbs
1 tsp honey
cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper to season
How to cook the celeriac cheese steak with apples and onions
- Peel and cut your celeriac into 1.5 cm thick slices and cook them in salt water for about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool down.
- Roughly chop the apple and onion.
- Prepare three plates to bread the celeriac. Give the whole wheat flour to the first plate. On the second plate beat the egg until the egg white and the yolk are mixed very well. The bread crumbs go on the third plate combined with the cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
- Using a sharp knife cut a pocket in the celeriac slice and stuff it with your favorite cheese.
- Dip the celeriac in the flour and shake off any excess. Then dip the slice in the egg until completely covered. Now roll the celeriac in the spiced bread crumbs until everything is covered well.
- Heat a tbsp of oil (I prefer olive oil) in a pan and fry your breaded celeriac on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile preheat a second pan and fry your apples and onions in a little bit of olive oil and a tsp of honey on medium heat just until the celeriac steak is done.
Serve the steak with the apples and onions on top.
I also have this recipe available on my YouTube channel here.
Live in each season as it passes: breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit.Henry David Thoreau
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram here.